Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I lost my son to a tanker truck crash in September. He had

I lost my son to a tanker truck crash in September. He had an AD&D policy which has been denied because his toxicology report showed 148ng level of Sertraline in his system. He had a prescription for Zoloft 100mg/day which they say should produce a level of 32ng in his system. They claim that he intentionally took 4 times the amount of Sertraline which rendered him legally intoxicated. He was 24, 5'11" and 185lbs. He also had taken 3 tablets of percocet 5/325 the day before for discomfort/pain from braces. He was prescribed 100mg of Zoloft but, was only taking 1/2 50mg every other day because he couldn't sleep. He had started the Zoloft 3 months before. He also enjoyed Hooka (a form of enhaling flavored herbal tobacco that when inhaled is cool; supposedly healthier?) Could there be any other explaination for the level of Sertraline in his system? I know without a shadow of a doubt that he DID NOT intentionally take "400"mg of Zoloft. Do you know of any articles or studies about how the levels of a drug could be so out of whack? He left behind 2 very young children and I can't just allow the insurance company to get away with denying my claim over something like Zoloft. Who intentionally tries to get high on Zoloft when they have Percocet available to them. Incidentally, they were ok with the level of oxys in his system.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
I believe that the only chance you have of getting the insurance company to change their decision is to hire an attorney. There will be nothing that your or your doctor can say to them that they will listen to at this point from my experience.

I am very sorry about your loss and wish you the best of luck.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
If you want specific information on drug testing you should request the expert "familyphysician" on this site as he has specific training on those issues.

I hope you are successful in your quest with the insurance company. Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey!!!! Thanks for your concern and help.
My pleasure. I hope things turn out well. As a parent, and grandparent myself, I can't imagine what you must be going through....
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
How are things going in your battle with the insurance company?