DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

glucose level of 98 means what and urea nitrogen of 12 means

glucose level of 98 means what and urea nitrogen of 12 means what and what is creatinine and what does l.04 mean is it good and what is IDMS traceable creatinine method do I have chronic kidney disease it says yeaa is it is less than 60nl/min/1.73m**2 also what is GFR this blood test said my sodium is 142 is that good but it said my potassuim is 4.2 and my chloride is 106 and my carbon dioxide is 26. I don't feel well but the va Dr. says I'm fine but after these bloodtests she never explained any of these results can you help me understand them. Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX XXX
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
glucose 98 perfect
BUN of 12 great
GFR is your filtration rate of the kidneys, 60 and above is fine..or close to it since it is calculated by the lab...not entirely accurate.
Creatinine is to show if your kidneys are OK, 1.04 his high normal if you look on the reference ranges of the lab.
The other labs are all normal

So the only question here is the high normal creatinine and slightly low GFR significant.

It might be.

You need to see a nephrologist to find out as your doctor is not going to look further at this.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Thomas what is a "Nephrologist" and how would I find one in Rio Rancho, New Mexico what might this entail as far as treatment. Thank You for your help so far but I am afraid with out knowing what a Nephrologist is or how to find one it probably wont do me much good. How serious is this condition. I hope to hear back from you so I can do the right thing. Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
We don't even know if there is a problem without further kidney testing.
Find an internal medicine doctor...Have a 24 hour urine test for protein and creatinine.
If this is normal probably no problem.

A nephrologist is a kidney specialist