Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

In 1985 I was diagnosed with having 8 Anginoma in my brain.

In 1985 I was diagnosed with having 8 Anginoma in my brain. 1998 I had a bleed on the chiasm of the optic nerve and was told at the time I would lose my sight. I have not…except for mild perheriferal on the right side. At this time I was put on Dilantin and have been doing well with this medicine. But with follow up MRI’s I am now at over 80 lesions in my brain…none giving me any real problems at this time.  2007 I lost the strength in my left arm and after test I was told I had a bleed at C1-C2 level of spine. It was decided to leave it alone…no surgery. With PT and time I regained most of the strength but continued to have a mild ache in the arm. Nothing a Tylenol would not help if needed.

Recently I have been experiencing the same symptoms again in the left arm…aching. I also have been treated for stress in the left shoulder with PT working on a “lump” but after 5 treatments is only partially taken care of. Arm is still aching and I am taking too many Tylenol.

My question is what can I do? My last MRI was in July, 2011 which told me “live with it”…don’t have surgery! Should I have more testing now just to see what is happening at this time? If so what test? MRI? Nerve conduction? I have had them all in the past.

It sounds like you have been getting excellent care for your problem and your question is a good one.

I think, since you have had a fairly significant change since your last MRI in July 2011 it might be time for a repeat MRI. That being said, I would discuss your concerns with your physician as she is the person who knows the most about your condition and might offer another possible approach to your current concerns.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it makes since. I know I am lucky with so many malformations it could be a lot worse but I do have a tendency to panic when I have something new. My doctor thinks it could be arthritis but I need to know for sure. I have to live with this.

Have you had patients with so many malformations? It seems strange that I can have so many and not have more things wrong! As I said lucky...but for how long?

With your history I don't blame you for getting panicked at times. It seems weird to say this but......hopefully it will just be a touch of arthritis ;)

I wish you the best of luck and many years of good health. Take care.