Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have Primary Progressive MS and my neurologists now has me

I have Primary Progressive MS and my neurologists now has me on a sympton management to control the depression, mobility issues, fatigue along with bowel and bladder control issues. I am in PT twice per week with minimal improvement on all fronts. I am currently on STD and allowed to work a max of 2, 4 hours per week during the STD period. Some days a better than others but my energy runs out quickly then get . I would like to return to work, but under the current conditions I do not see this happening.

I am 57 and the lack of energy and staying power is really limiting my life, my MD has tried Copaxone and steriod treatments with zero improvement. The MS seems to be progressing without any relief. By the way i have 5 lesions on the brain and 12 on the upper spine. The LP showed abnormal levels and other nuroological testing all indicate PPMS.

Is there any think else i should try to make sure I am putting in all the effort required to control the progression?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my question is complicated and i expect it to take awhile to answer, but any assistance would be great.

Thank You
Thank you for your continued patience:-)
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associated or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

You are correct that your issue is a complicated one and, while it is true that there may not be anything else that can be done in your case that is not already being done, perhaps getting an opinion from a team of experts might shed some new light on things.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Rick,

I have been using UMASS Medical Center and you are correct all specialist are available, the team consist of my Primary Care MD, Neurologist who heads the MS Clinic, Urologist for bladder issues, PT for balance and walking issues, GI surgeon for bowel issues, sleep disorder neurologist and physiologist for the depression, I just feel hopeless at his point and I know there are no magic bullets for PPMS but was hoping I was missing some out-of-the-box ideas that would possible lead to a better quality of life.

Thank you for your insight, sounds like I am on the best path forward at this time. Being able to return to work is looking less likely due to the fatigue, depression, pain, inability to drive and lack in confidence in my decision making process. I have always been a Type A individual and have lead major divisions of military related companies.

Best Regards,

Bill Kinsella

Bill,

It sure does seem like you are already getting excellent care for a very difficult problem. I'm sorry that I don't have any great insights for doing things better...but when you are already getting top-notch care and advice it is hard for me to improve on that.

I wish you the very best and hope things turn out the best that they possibly can for you.

Thanks for giving me a chance to, at least try, to help
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD