Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I am mildly constipated and feel like I need to pass gas -

I am mildly constipated and feel like I need to pass gas - sensation at the lower end of rectum, but can't expel it. What are the logical reasons for this?
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question

Any recent change in dietary habits?
Have you noticed blood mixed with stool?
Any lump or swelling near rectum?
Any past chronic medical issue?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. Recent changes - yes...somewhat. I've been having back and abdominal pain for about 5 weeks and no cause has been found yet; however, I lost my appetite and felt full all the time about 2-3 weeks ago. I couldn't eat much. I still have a low appetite but have lost weight so I'm eating almost anything I can handle...trying to gain weight without making the constipation worse. This includes 1-2 Ensures per day among other things. To summarize though, yes, my eating is "off".

2. No. I even tried a test from the pharmacy to check for blood, and it's been fine.

3. Not that I've noticed or that I feel.

4. Fibromyalgia. I've also have alot of muscle tension as a result of stress, anxiety, and my fibro. I also have endometriosis and had a laparascopy on 11/15/11 to burn the lesions and remove an ovarian cyst.

Regards.

Well, you need to take Enema. By distending the rectum, all enemas (even the simplest type, the tap water enema) stimulate the colon to contract and eliminate stool .Saline Enemas can be helpful.
Another way of Getting rid of this problem is Suppositories.They contains Bisacodyl, and remove the stools from anus.
Take plenty of fluids and take light meals, You should take high fiber diet.
You should follow these tips, and usually such symptoms will get resolve.

Good luck and take care.
If you have any other questions, please ask them.
Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. Positive Feedback & BONUS are appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've never done an enema before but am open to trying it. Based on the information I provided, should I be worried about a blockage of any kind or is not being able to pass gas logical for these symptoms? It's just very uncomfortable (and scary) and I wanted to assure there are other reasonable explanations for it other than a possible blockage.
Well, it is possible that you may be suffering from Intestinal obstruction. Symptoms associated with obstruction are-
-Abdominal distention
-Abdominal fullness, gas
-Abdominal pain and cramping
-Constipation
-Vomiting

You need to undergo these tests-
-Abdominal x-ray
-Barium enema

A clinical evaluation and test may be required for diagnosis. I suggest you to consult doctor in ER and get it managed.

Good luck and take care.