Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

CAN i TAKE 5MG AMLODIPINE AND VIAGRA

Customer Question

CAN i TAKE 5MG AMLODIPINE AND VIAGRA
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.

wieyedoc :

All other things considered, if you are healthy enough for sexual activity, yes. You can.

wieyedoc :

Does this make sense to you?

wieyedoc :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

wieyedoc :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
I would have to strongly disagree with the other expert.

There is a well documented interaction between these two medications. Specifically, in patients who were taking both medications, there was an additional drop in blood pressure when the Viagra was added. Here is the specific language included in the FDA approved prescribing information

When VIAGRA 100 mg oral was coadministered with amlodipine, 5 mg or 10 mg oral, to hypertensive patients, the mean additional reduction on supine blood pressure was 8 mmHg systolic and 7 mmHg diastolic.

This additional drop in blood pressure could cause problems in some individuals. You should discuss this potential interaction with your personal physician/cardiologist before you take both medications. Many patients take this combination without problems, however it is inappropriate to say that there is no problem with taking both medications.