Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I acquired food poisoning nearly 7 days ago and have been feeling

I acquired food poisoning nearly 7 days ago and have been feeling very weak with chills
since the onset of symptoms. My symptoms lasted several days and included frequent vomiting and bloody diarrhea. I have not eaten much solid food but still I'm passing blood tinged intestinal secretions. How much longer can I expect the weakness to last?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.

If you have vomiting and bloody diarrhea you may have a serious infection or inflammatory bowel disease. You need to see a dr. immediately for stool culture and sigmoidoscopy. This needs to be evaluated.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had a colonoscopy 3 months ago and there was absolutely no sign of bowel inflamation or any other disease process. My symptoms were acute, appearing 8-10 hrs after eating at a local restaurant. Will it run its course or do you still advise I seek medical attention?
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
With blood in stool you must seek medical attention.