Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I fell down stairs on Saturday evening and landed on concrete.

I fell down stairs on Saturday evening and landed on concrete. I went to the emergency room and had no broken bones but I have a huge bruise on the left thigh that is still swollen and when I get up from sitting position it burns but quits after I walk around a little. I have a follow-up appt. with my Dr. on Wed. morning, but do I need to worry about blood clots from the bruise moving to other parts of my body?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.

wieyedoc :

no. The bruise is in the tissues of your thigh and, as such, won't move to other parts of your body like you hear about in people who have large blood clots in their veins.

wieyedoc :

Clots in the veins and bruises in the "meat" of your thigh are totally different things.

wieyedoc :

Does this make sense to you?

wieyedoc :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

wieyedoc :

Hi. Welcome to chat. I was just addressing your question. Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer:

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the swelling and the pain? Is the ice pack the best treatment?

wieyedoc :

Since the pain meds are making you dizzy ice packs and tylenol seem like your best bet.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX worried about blood clots but I understand that this is different than Blood clots in the veins. You have given me piece of mind.