Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

after having mono, my tongue has ridges around the edges, almost

after having mono, my tongue has ridges around the edges, almost like a scalloped look and is sensitive and sometimes stings....I have had others say they had the same experience. my doctor said it was a viral infection of the throat that has also caused the tongue issue...thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.

Yes, I believe its either the mono virus itself or another virus causing this or another viral infection.

Viruses often cause this.

I would recommend you take ibuprofen and tylenol for pain. It should pass with time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, the mono virus could cause the tongue to react like that? I never knew or have heard of viruses making the tongue look weird or inflamed, etc. How long does it take? I has been nearly three weeks now...the doctor said it would take some time....just wondering what "take some time" looks like? Is it normal for it to last this long?

Yes, it can cause this.

It should get better soon. I would say 4-6 weeks maximum

If it lasts much longer than that other causes need to be investigated like thyroid problems, B12 deficiency or other B vitamin deficiencies.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would seeing an ENT specialist be a good idea just as a second check or would there be another type of doctor for a second opinion?

Yes, that would be a good idea. Make an appointment tomorrow and if it doesn't resolve in a week then get it looked at.