DrKnowsBest
DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health
9384716

I have heard that there is a link between Periodontal disease

I have heard that there is a link between Periodontal disease and Heart Disease. what are the chances of someone with gum disease getting heart disease? Also does the severity of the person's gum disease a factor in how high the risk of developing heart disease is, in other words does someone with just Early Periodontitis have a lower risk of developing heart disease than somebody with moderate or end stage periodontal disease?

DrKnowsBest : This isntrue
DrKnowsBest : This is because bacteria in the mouth through openings created in the gums can get into the bloodstream and to the heart
DrKnowsBest : If they get stuck or lodged on a valve before cleared by the immune system they can cause heart problems
DrKnowsBest : The worse the periodontal disease the more likely this will occur...still very low chances of occurring
DrKnowsBest : Any further questiosn
DrKnowsBest : If no further questions please press accept so we may exit
Customer:

Well, I have seen variable data suggesting that there may be a link between the two, some suggest a stronger link between gum and heart disease than other sources. My question is, Is it that the relationship between Heart and Gum Disease may still be poorly understood, and if so, are more studies needed to help make the link sturdy?