Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

My husband has had diarrhea and a sore stomach for the last

My husband has had diarrhea and a sore stomach for the last five days. Prior to that we had two fairly full days ride our Harley in the sun here in Arizona and a couple of full days riding this past week. He feels worse after eating. Could this be from getting too much sun?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

No this is not from too much sun. He most likely has a viral gastroenteritis, which is a viral infection of the stomach and intestines. This may cause nausea, vomiting, and an upset stomach. It may also cause lower abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Viral infections of the G.I. tract will usually resolve within 48-72 hours, however some infections may last up to one week. It is most important during this illness that he maintain hydration. He must drink plenty of fluids. Clear fluids such as clear juices, the syrup juice from canned fruit, or electrolyte drinks (ie. Gatorade) are best. Also Jello and broth may be taken. If he is hungry then he may eat toast, plain rice, or crackers. To treat the nausea and vomiting or upset stomach he may get a prescription for Compazine. For diarrhea he may take over-the-counter Imodium. If his symptoms persist for longer then a week or if he develops high fevers or have bloody diarrhea he must see his doctor immediately. While he is sick try to maintain good hygiene with careful handwashing and not sharing his personal items with others as this is how this infection is spread. I hope he feels better.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wondered about the sun because this morning he was feeling much better so we spent quite some time in the sun (we're at NASCA races in Phoenix) and he quickly started feeling very ill again and he got really red but he was quite cool to touch. He even wanted me to come back to the fifth wheel with him because he was feeling so poorly which is not like Clint at all. He has never vomited, just the bad stomach and diarrhea.
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
Upper stomach and diarrhea most likely viral gastroenteritis. My impression and advice is the same.