Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

Does a peri rectal abscess always develop into a fistula? If

Does a peri rectal abscess always develop into a fistula? If surgery is required what is the general time required off from work?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

An access and a fistula are 2 different things. An access is a pocket of pus and a fistula is a connection or tunnel in the skin. If an access just is drained the down time may be a day or so but if it requires more than just drainage the convalescence can be up to a week.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already had the abscess drained. I am aware of the recovery time for it. I am asking about the fistula that I was told may form because of the abscess. What would be the time away from work if a fistula develops and needs treatments?
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
A fistula may be more complicated to repair. It may require a seton or thread drain and depending on where it is connecting to, may take a couple of weeks to heal. The surgeon who knows the exact nature of the fistula is the only one that can answer this.