Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

My daughter has been tested for pancreas cancer and her results

My daughter has been tested for pancreas cancer and her results came back normal.
They did find that her pancreas is producing more enzymes than needed and causes her to have pain, but the doctors do not know what it causing the excess of enzymes.
Therefor they have chosen to her take enzymes pills that will eventually cause pancreas to stop producing enzymes.
The doctors explanation is that she may fall into a 3% category of the unknown.
Any thought or suggestions
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

How is it known that she is producing too many enzymes? What does category of the unknown mean? Need more details. Does she have pancreatitis?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
blood results are high elevated levels of amalyse and lipayse.
considered idiopathic,
yes, she does have pancreatitis
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
OK. This is what I expected. Pancreatitis can be caused by many things, alcohol, gallstones, medicines,etc. Some cases a cause is never found and this is called idiopathic. She apparently requires enzymes to calm the inflammation of the pancreas. So this is good treatment. She does not have cancer and will need to remain on these enzymes indefinitely.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.