Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

My son,38, has ascites.He has had his stomach drained 4 times,

My son,38, has ascites.He has had his stomach drained 4 times, but it increased again quickly.On his last visit for this procedure, he was told to take diuretics.His stomach is almost flat now; he has gained weight;no longer looks yellow, but is still tired and underweight.(He has gained over 2stones and is now 8st5lb/height 5' 10".
Can this condition ever be completely cured? (Assuming he consumes no more alcohol)?
Thank you.

He has severe liver cirrhosis. The condition can never be cured but it may remain stable if he avoids alcohol. Only the symptoms of liver failure such as fluid accumulation can be treated.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.