911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

My right leg from the knee down hurts. It has been over a

My right leg from the knee down hurts. It has been over a week. It is affecting the way I walk. In addition, I am currently experiencing the feeling of chills on this same leg. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.

911DOC :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911DOC :

Curious set of symptoms

911DOC :

have you had any trauma to the knee or leg?

911DOC :

And do you have any medical problems that you take medicine for regularly?

Customer:

No trauma. I have been working a lot and sitting more than usual. I have high blood pressure and I have iron and B-12 anemias.

911DOC :

does the leg hurt on the front or in the back and is there change in the color of the skin or swelling?

911DOC :

also, does it hurt more when you use it by walking etc?

Customer:

more in back but some in front too. no change in color. slight swelling at knee. it only hurts when in use. it feels heavy.

911DOC :

and do you have a doctor right now?

Customer:

i do but he is out of town this week.

911DOC :

i see....

911DOC :

so there are two things that are likely going on but many possibilities that are less likely

Customer:

last time i saw his partner he put me on a ton of pills and i don't want to see him again.

911DOC :

since you say you sit quite a lot lately the most worrisome thing this could be would be a DEEP VENOUS THROMBOSIS, a blood clot in the back of the lower leg and even behind the knee

911DOC :

these can be dangerous as they can travel to the lung and cause huge problems and even death

911DOC :

and they can be found with a simple ultrasound exam

911DOC :

painless and quick

Customer:

my mother has them and my dad passed away from one

911DOC :

the other thing that rings a bell is less worrisome but is also found with an ultrasound and it is called a BAKER'S CYST

911DOC :

with that family history my advice is not to delay at all and to go to the ER unless your doctor can arrange an ultrasound for today

Customer:

i have been diagnosed with a bakers cyst in the past. i have been thinking that is what it is but its been a long time.

911DOC :

the reason being two things... 1. they can get the ultrasound right away

911DOC :

2. they can begin treatment if you have it right away

911DOC :

i see

911DOC :

then the ultrasound is really going to be needed to sort this out

Customer:

ok thank you.

911DOC :

and if you have any chest tightness, pain, or shortness of breath the need to get this looked at in an ER becomes even more critical

911DOC :

you are most welcome

911DOC :

do you have any other questions for me about this"\

911DOC :

?

Customer:

no thank you.

911DOC :

very good

911DOC :

then if i have been helpful and given you a good answer please do click on 'accept' so that JA will reimburse me for my time

911DOC :

and please get this

911DOC :

checked out asap

911DOC :

as soon as possible

911DOC :

many thanks for your question and your business

911DOC :

hope it's just the baker's cyst acting up

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician