Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

What causes an orange coating on the tongue and how can it

What causes an orange coating on the tongue and how can it be cured?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

This symptom could occur due to a few causes and needs to be diagnosed based on the associated symptoms as well as further investigations.
Some of the causes are:
Gastroesophageal reflux disease: Heartburn is the most common symptom of this disorder. It is effectively treated by medications such as Prilosec.
Bacterial overgrowth in oral cavity: Associated symptoms are altered taste or metallic taste in mouth and bad breath (halitosis).

Hence the causative factor needs to be diagnosed and you need physical examination, and investigations if indicated before effective treatment.

Take care. Please click the ACCEPT button.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm, well, I wouldlike to accept that answer but it is too broad. I have read that it is fungal and therefore want to know if I need to go to a dentist or a medical doctor to do a scraping. I do NOT want to be contagious if Ikiss my grandchildren.
Thanks for your reply.

Basically a fungal infection will cause a white, cream-coloured, or yellow spots in the mouth.
I would suggest going to a medical doctor who can assess all the associated symptoms also and if indicated prescribe the medications.

Take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Basicaly I feel fine but I just don't want to be contagious. I have been to my regular doctor and unfortunately my tongue wasn't showing it's orange color but she did listen to me and said that maybe a scraping needs to be done next time. What does this involve? As I have said my main concern is about being contagious and I don't know whether fungi is as such.
Thanks for your reply.

Basically oral thrush is an opportunistic infection and this is not contagious. Please read this article:

However it is still better to get treated before kissing since you never know who is susceptible to the infection.

Tongue scraping is simple procedure similar to what you can do yourself with a tongue scraper but this is done by a professional. If it is indeed oral thrush this has to be treated by medications mainly which can be prescribed by your doctor.

Take care.