Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I have pain on in my left side. it feels like a muscle pull.

I have pain on in my left side. it feels like a muscle pull. I did not exercise for the last few days and it feels somewhat better, but still bothers me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 5 years ago.

Dr.Tharun :

Hio

Dr.Tharun :

Where exactly is the pain? any bowel problem? vomiting or loose stools?

Dr.Tharun :

Any relation to food ?

Customer:

i eat tons of fiber so my bowels are always on the loose side. no vomiting

Dr.Tharun :

is there pain when you press that region?

Customer:

no

Dr.Tharun :

does it pain when you get up from lying down position like doing crunches ?

Customer:

yes a little it feels like something might be pulling laying off exercise helped but i thought it would be better by now. Is it ok to have loose bowels based on a high fiber diet? i eat a lot of hot chiles fruit and vegetables drink lots of water also

Dr.Tharun :

Is it just the high fiber diet or do you have a stool softener also?

Customer:

No I do not use stool softener i drink 1 cup very strong coffee in the AM

Dr.Tharun :

With high fiber diet you should have well formed stools or soft stools.

Dr.Tharun :

Do you mean watery stools?

Customer:

yes sometimes does this sound serious to you?

Dr.Tharun :

Not serious but may be indicator of some underlying problem like bacterial overgrowth, worm infection or irritable bowel like symptoms.

Dr.Tharun :

You should get a stool test to see for any infection or ova .

Customer:

I have a tendency to panic even though I myself am an RN Maybe you can relate that sometimes knowledge is a bit of a curse If this were more serious than that what you explained would the pain be worse? it has been 4 days and is positional like a pulling

Dr.Tharun :

But you have no recent change of bowel habits ?

Dr.Tharun :

Sometimes colitis can present like this, but there would be loose stools , fever and loss of appetite etc.

Customer:

Yesterday I had several episodes of loose stools. Today i have not had a BM yet.

Dr.Tharun :

Then it could be an intestinal infection causing the pain.Drink lot of water and juices and take a probiotic like yoghurt which will help with regaining of the healthy bowel flora.Get a stool test also.

Dr.Tharun :

If fever or blood in stools or vomiting develops , you may require a course of antibiotics .

Customer:

So in your opinion this is not presenting like anything life threatening like cancer?

Dr.Tharun :

Cancer usually has blood in stools ,loss of weight and appetite and positive family history.

Customer:

That is a relief. I do not have any of them. Does the fact that this came on after exercise factor into this at all?

Dr.Tharun :

It may be separate problem with a sore muscle as it resolving with rest.But it is better to do a screening tests just to be on the safer side.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I will follow your advise.

Dr.Tharun :

welcome