Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have experienced tightness in my chest and upper stomach

I have experienced tightness in my chest and upper stomach for the past several days after supper. The Dr. had mentioned hiatol hernia at one time. I had a lot of anxiety last night and a lot of discomfort. I took ativan but that didn't help.
I do not feel the tightness when I sit up or walk around.
I have atrial fib and a stent and high blood pressure.
Do yoou have any suggestions? Should I call my Primary Dr. or Cardiologist, or relax?
Thank you.
Anne Karski

this may well be related to hiatus hernia because it is occurring after eating however with your history of cardiac disease with the symptom of tightness in the chest you must first exclude any possibility of a cardiac problem before pursuing treatment of the hiatus hernia. You should see the cardiologist first and once he has excluded any cardiac problem you can then be evaluated for hiatal hernia. Your doctor may wish to give you a trial of acid reducing agents which are very effective his hiatus hernia is the cause however this must be done after you exclude cardiac disease as hiatus hernia is not life-threatening where as cardiac problem may well be.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.