Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.
11246089

Tightness under left rib cage. Never had this before. Than

Customer Question

Tightness under left rib cage. Never had this before. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello JA customer.

Avoid taking coffee or tea as you may be having an acute bout of gastritis or gastro esophgeal reflux. Take OTC prilosec 20 mg with water. Do not take anything tangy and avoid colas and tomatoes.

However, if you feel bloated, excess gas can also cause a feeling of tightness. So, along with OTC prilosec, take maalox or peptobismol to reduce the intestinal gas.

However, if your symptoms persist even 24 hours after taking these, you should go to the ER to exclude heart disease and get an EKG done.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

Please press the "green accept button" to accept this answer and give credit for my work and time.

Positive Feedback and bonus is warmly appreciated.
Hello, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not have acid reflux and I do not ever have gas because I take digestive enzymes. I have taken a digestive enzyme and will wait to see if symptoms leave.

Thanks for your advice, however, my symptoms are not as severe as you suggest. I am not one to take medication - the side effects are often worse on the body than the cure.

I feel the tightness subsiding since taking the digestive enzymes. I feel a slight discomfort in my left arm. Since the tightness has subsided - I suppose I will see how if feel over the next 24 hours.

Alright.I see that your symptoms have subsided on taking the digestive enzyme, so I guess you had some amount of tightness due to gas.

If symptoms persist even after 24 hours, please consider getting an EKG done as many a times a small heart attack can simulate as discomfort rather than severe chest pain.

Good luck.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.