Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

acute pain in upper right side of body, lower rib cage area.

acute pain in upper right side of body, lower rib cage area. Hurts to move or breath deep. pain has been coming and going in intensity for about five days. its about an 8 right now,the worst its been. I thought that I may have pulled something, while lifting. However, I am not sure that is the case?It hurts to push on lower rib cage area.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Right upper abdomen is a complex region. There is liver, gall bladder, right kidney/ bowel loops, duodenum/ right lower lung, pleura/ costochondral junction/ muscles and overlying fat. Abnormality at either of these can present with pain.

It being there for 5 days now worries me a bit.

My first bet will be abnormality at the lung or pleura {inflammation, infection} as the pain increases with deep breath. Other causes like inflammation at the costochondral junction/ muscle sprain/ inflammation of liver and gall bladder also need to be looked for.

A physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood tests, ultrasound of abdomen, chest x ray will give us more answers.

Till than - warm compress, Motrin should relieve the pain and discomfort.

Wish you well.

Good luck