Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

Why do drs not want to do EsophyX surgery as opposed to the

Why do drs not want to do EsophyX surgery as opposed to the Nissen procedure?

Have your doctors considered increasing the dose to maximum of Nexium before recommending this procedure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually because I developed stomach polyps, I was at 40 mg/day, I cut myself back to 20 mg/day then down toXXXXXs recommendation to try and reduce my med intake. Still symptom free at 10/day but believe that my esophagus is stil under attack with or w/out symptoms so am interested in correcting surgically. Do not know why the less invasive procedure EsophyX is not more talked about over the Nissen procedure.
Thank you for the additional information. Most patient's with mild to moderate reflux symptoms are treated with medication but for those patients who do not wish to be on these strong medications which can have side effects for reflux have a Nissen fundoplication which there has been obviously extensive experience with this procedure. There is now available the procedure called TIF (Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication) which creates a lower esophageal sphincter without invasive surgery. It is done through the mouth under general anesthesia. The reason it is not discussed more or used more is because it is a new procedure in the experience is much less. Although it has been used in over 1000 patients with a success rate approaching 80% many doctors are not familiar with the procedure and don't have experience with it. This would appear to be a good alternative for you but you must be certain to have a surgeon that has fairly extensive experience performing this new procedure. The long-term results obviously will require more time to see if it is as effective as the traditional fundoplication.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.