Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

Hi, Im a 67 year old male who has been suffering form Constipation

I'm a 67 year old male who has been suffering form Constipation for 30 years or more. The situation has become worse and Movicol prescribed by my doctor doesn't work. Can you offer an alternative
Neville, Cork, Ireland

Do you have any pain or bleeding? Any recent colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I also suffer from bloating, mild pains and a recent colonoscopy was cancelled because of severe diverrticulitis. This was replaced by a barium meal which was negative
Ok. Your doctor is correct, laxatives can be habit forming. There is a new drug called Lubiprostone which is effective that you may want to ask him about. Altho I am sure you have tried many of the following suggestions, try this regimen for awhile. The diverticulosis is contributing to this problem Give this regimen a chance. It takes time.

This regimen will try to get you to have one or two normal bowel movements a day. The first approach is to increase fiber and bulk in your stool.

First, to increase the bulk in the stool, you must take fiber every am. ie. bran, bran cereal, bran muffin. Also 2 salads a day and ample fruits and vegetables. (avoid gas forming vegetables such as beans or broccoli, cabbage) Psyllium agents such as Metamucil, Citrocel, Konsyl, Hydrocil, Perdiem 2-4 heaping tablespoons a day should help increase the bulk in your stool. You may instead want to try Fibercon, 6-8 capsules a day.Also try Colace (stool moisturizer). Start slowly and increase the amount every day to avoid side effects of gas or bloating.

Try to train yourself to have one or two movements a day by sitting on the toilet the same time every day.

Probiotics, like Activia, will help.

I have found this works for most of my patients after minor adjustments you must make yourself. Let me know how you make out after a few weeks. This takes time and does not work overnight.

You can use Miralax on a short term basis or an enema if you are really
uncomfortable.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am on Psyllium, 1 tablesppon in water every morning, as well as high fibre bread, 1 slic of toast every morning.
Try all the things I suggested before asking for a trial of Lubiprostone. You have to increase the fiber especially with the diverticulosis.