Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hello,I took my 86 yo mother for a urology three month check

Customer Question

I took my 86 yo mother for a urology three month check last Wednesday and they sent in a culture even though the doctor thought it would be negative. I got a call that there was ecoli bacteria and
Macrobid was prescribed. After three doses the urinating improved, but many of the side effects (that I know about now) happened. Extreme dizziness with poor ability to walk, fever, chills, night sweats, body aches, difficulty swallowing, etc. She is also now speaking without forming real words. She says a couple of sentences when asked to say something correctly, but then goes back to the gibberish sounding speech. She follows directions about the same, but is not as quick at tracking visually. Last week she was correcting my German grammar. She seems like the way she was when drugs were tried on her for three days six months ago when she was living independently until the FL medical community got a hold of her.
Her comprehension and expression were impaired, but I had her back to be able to travel and take a trip to Europe,this Spring. Her German was still very good. Will this new problem go away when this drug leaves her system ? I read it could take weeks or months. She is on no meds and I must have thought it would be ok to follow drs orders and give her this horrible drug. The bacteria she had over the summer was pseudmonas and she did ok with cipro.
I am devastated and will never give her another drug for anything. She was never sick or on anything and the little bit she has been given in the past few months has ruined our lives.
Please let me know if you think there is a chance this will resolve. The walking has improved and she has been free of the drug for 24 hours.
Thank you for your time.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
I do not believe that all of her symptoms are due to the recent antibiotic she was on. As such I'm not so sure that things will improve "when the drug leaves her system"

I think you should have her evaluated by a physician to make sure something more serious isn't going on, such as a stroke etc.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
The odd speech did resolve this morning and she is almost back physically.
She will see her neurologist again, but they really are always at a loss as to
what the problem is because all tests point to normal aging as she is
physically healthier than most 40 year olds.
She does have a lifelong hx of nervousness and anxiety which may have
caught up with her. The psychiatrist I took her to ( first time ever ) said
" it is very complex " ! Tell me about it ! She is so sensitive to drugs that
they may have unmasked something .
TCM has helped, so we will get back into that and vitamins !!!
Sounds like a great idea. I'm glad she is doing better now. Best of luck to you.