Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

Hi, I am a 21 years old male. Three months ago I went

I am a 21 years old male. Three months ago I went in for a regular checkup, and everything was normal (120/80 pressure, temperature...etc). Today I went in for another checkup at a different local clinic, I was informed that I had a pressure of a shocking 157/76!!! I am currently in shock as I have never been given a pressure reading this high, let along at this age! (Other then the shocking pressure reading I was given a clean bill of health).

I DO NOT smoke or drink. I eat fairly healthily, always making sure that I have a minimum of 5 servings of vegetable a day. I do, however, lack in the exercise department a bit, but I am pick up on it now.

I am wondering about the things that could have contributed to such a high reading. I noticed the following this time I was taking blood pressure.

1) The physician assistant told me not to roll up my sleeve (I thought we are supposed to?)

2) I felt a sudden increase of heart rate/nervousness when the cuff increased in pressure (not quite sure why).

3) I am in quite a bit of stress right now in life (currently applying to medical school. Fortunately I just got my first acceptance :))

Please help!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

You can relax. this was most likely an aberrant reading possibly due to "white coat syndrome" You were stressed and need to have you pressure taken by a doctor with your sleeve rolled up and in both arms. It is very unlikely that you have significant hypertension at this age, but get it re checked.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.