Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I just read about a study at Mayo Clinic that links Hiatal

Customer Question

I just read about a study at Mayo Clinic that links Hiatal Hernia with AFib. Can you give me the truth about this. I have had a hernia for years and one year ago was diagnosed with Afib. My coronary arteries are "beautiful".
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.

Are you presently having reflux and are you receiving treatment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What does this have to do with my question? Yes I have reflux and I have Afib. Just want to know if there is a connection as in the Mayo Clinic study.
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
there does appear to be a connection between hiatus hernia and atrial fibrillation in this study that included a large number of patients. The cause is thought to be mechanical pressure of the hiatal hernia on the heart as the most likely explanation. I asked about treatment and if you have reflux because the role of anti-reflux medications need to be established and also whether or not patients improve regarding atrial fibrillation after repair of the hiatus hernia remains unanswered at this point. So the answer to your question is "yes".

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now, how do I get the doctors involved to accept this answer and then to give me the proper treatment, such as a hernia repair?
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Give them the article. As I stated there is no proof yet that repair improves the A. Fib. That is the key question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not see an article in a magazine. Which magazine would it be in and how would I obtain this magazine?
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
You said you read a study.
Print this out.

http://www.internalmedicinenews.com/news/cardiology/single-article/hiatal-hernia-ups-risk-of-a-fib-subsequent-heart-failure/dc3423bea9.html

You can accept now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
you are welcome