Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

Ive had blood clots in my stool for about 2 years now. What

I've had blood clots in my stool for about 2 years now. What could that mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
Have you had any tests? Any pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No rectal pain. But I have annoying pain on my right side with swelling.
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. What you are describing is most consistent with hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are swollen blood vessels that can occur inside or outside the rectum. They may cause pain and or bleeding. They are common and are not malignant. You must get checked with a rectal exam and possible colonoscopy by a doctor. In the meantime try the following:

If you are able to push the hemorrhoids backup into the rectum try to do that when you take a shower. This will tend to protect the hemorrhoids from further irritation. Also make certain to use TUCKS which are cotton pads soaked in witch hazel after each bowel movement to make the area clean. Also it is very important to make sure you're not constipated or have diarrhea. Make sure you have adequate bulk and fiber and roughage in your diet. You may try Metamucil two tablespoons twice a day to increase the bulk of your stool. Do not sit on the toilet more than 10 minutes at a time. Finally as far as creams go, the most effective creams will be those that contain the maximum amount of cortisone. I recommend Anusol HC cream. This will require a prescription from your doctor. In the meantime you can use Prepration H WITH cortisone placed twice a day.It contains more than twice the amount of cortisone than OTC preparation H. Even though this is most likely the cause you should still get a digital rectal exam from your doctor. I hope these recommendations are helpful to you.

Click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.