Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

is the western blot test accurate?

is the western blot test accurate?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
yes. It is very, very accurate and sensitive.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you mean does this make sense to me, i had just wanted to ask a question. and what do you mean by obligatory word from our sponsors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you does this make sense to me? i had just wanted to ask a question. and what do you mean by obligatory word from our sponsor4s
Did you see my answer to your question? After I answered you, I used that other paragraph to inform you how you can accept the answer if you want to. Until you press the accept button I do not get compensated for my time.

Actually, after accepting 226 answers I would expect you to know how the system works....

I'm still here if you would like to discuss this issue further or ask any other questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

one more question is the western blot more extensive then other tests

Hmmm.....I'm not sure that more extensive is the right word. It is confirmatory...what I mean by that is Western Blot is not prone to errors as much as other tests.

What I mean is that if you have a test that is designed to tell apples and oranges apart but sometimes if there is a peach in the mix it may get confused, and you do the test and it tells you that you have an apple you are not really sure if you have an apple -- it could be that the test is confused and you really have a peach.

In this example you would the retest your item with western blot, which is never confused by peaches. If this test says you've got an apply you can feel very confident that you, indeed, have an apple.

What I am trying to say is that Western Blot calls it like it is and is very rarely wrong whereas other, less sensitive and specific tests can give you a false result.

Does that make sense?
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC