Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

what causes excessive sleeping in a child of 9 years. He is

Customer Question

what causes excessive sleeping in a child of 9 years. He is not hyper active, brain scan test came negative, adenoidectomy & Tonsillectomy was done, but no improvement, iron supplement is not working. He is on Ritalin because the paedetriciian says she doesn't know what is wrong, but that Ritalin will reduce the sleeping dis- order. I'm worried about the side effect of Ritalin. What else can we do. The sleeping disorder is not affecting his academic performance in school but he gets moody sometimes, and sometimes withdrawn. He falls asleep easily when he is not actively doing something, and complains of tiredness.Tests on liver function, glucose and thyriod functions all came back negative.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

wieyedoc :

Hi. I'm online and available to assist you today.

wieyedoc :

It sounds like your son has been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in his condition. At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all his medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that he could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

wieyedoc :

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment fir your son I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associated or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

wieyedoc :

Does this make sense to you?

wieyedoc :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

wieyedoc :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not in the US. I live in South Africa. Do you have any contacts in South Africa? If not, it's fine. But, do you share the same sentiments I have on Ritalin? I'll like you to comment on Ritalin please. Is it good for a 9 year old to be on it because I read that it is addictive.Being on it helps to reduce the sleeping, but it seems the reduction is even a side effect itself (Insomnia), are we not solving one problem by creating another one?

I'm sorry, I don't know any pediatricians in South Africa.

I think that in the world today Ritalin is used too often. I also agree with you that it doesn't seem right for the doctor to say that she doesn't know what is wrong but let's throw some ritalin at it.....seems like it would be best to have a concrete diagnosis before starting therapy, especially since you are still noticing that things are not right.

I'd recommend getting another opinion as it does seem that, from what you have told me, you are just trading one problem for another.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your time. I'll try the teaching hospital. I just read up now on Narcolepsy, do you think his symptoms are similar?
I must confess that I really don't know much about narcolepsy :(

I hope your boy feels better soon.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your honesty
My pleasure. Take care.