Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My name isXXXXX I am a family physician and a consultant

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX I am a family physician and a consultant to HMSA Medical Leadership.* I have a 12mm long, 3mm deep laceration on the ball of my R foot. This occurred 36hr ago (2/18, 10am). My medial forefoot is moderately swollen. There does not appear to be any pus. I believe it should be sutured and I should be started on antibiotics - but I do not want to treat myself. I need referral to a good ER. I am presently residing atXXXXX Waikiki.

* I am in Honolulu as a consultant to HMSA Physician Leadership working with Dr. John Baleiz, Dr. John Berthiaume, Dr. Ron Fugimoto, and Ms Caryn Ireland in inplementation of Health Care Home.

Please call me as soon as possible on my cell: XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Thank you,
Ken Joslyn

Please advise.

Ken Joslyn, MD

Please
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

wieyedoc :

Hi. Your cell phone number was listed as all XX's by the system. We are unable to contact you except through this thread.

wieyedoc :

That being said I agree with you......head to the ER for treatment.

wieyedoc : Pali Momi Medical Center, located at

98-1079 Moanalua Rd Aiea, HI 96701

(808)(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Is an excellent ER. You would be well treated there.

wieyedoc :

Does this make sense to you?

wieyedoc :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

wieyedoc :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a great system. And it is definitely where Medicine needs to go. Interestingly I was in Hawaii working with HMSA medical leadership promoting Patient Centered Medical Home. One of the 7 fundamental elements of PCMH is Enhance Access, i.e. meeting the patient at the patient/member's perceived need rather than the provider's convenience. Advanced Access Scheduling, emial care, and enhanced phone care is all a part of this Enhanced Access. So - my congratulations to you all for operating this great system.

However, in my particular case, given our super-fast high-tech world I did expect an answer a bit sooner than the 2hr (3:58 amEST - 6:01 amEST). I had immediately received an email saying a doc was reviewing my question at that very moment (I have his name written somewhere) and wanted to know if I felt the situation was urgent - I think I said moderate as I know I was not dying but wanted to get things done soon as it was already 10:30pm Honolulu. I did try to send a message about 5:00 amEST saying since I had not heard an answer, I no-longer needed help as I had decided to go on to ER myself. I did end up with antibiotics and my foot is steadily getting better.

Thanks - and I liked you picture

Ken Joslyn, MD,MPH
I have the privilege of working with all of the below to transform our Health care system in the same ways you are doing:
Medical Director, Metropolitan Health Plan
Principle, Hennepin Health Safety Net ACO
PCMH Medical Leadership Consultant, ICSI Professional Partners
Minneapolis, MN XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX

If you are interested in Hennepin Health Safety Net ACO this is a neat video - bottom of this site - http://www.hennepin.us/healthcare
thanks. Neat video :)