Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

my husband was diagnosed with late stage lyme a few yrs ago.

Customer Question

my husband was diagnosed with late stage lyme a few yrs ago. when we could afford it we tried oral antibiotics, as well as 5 mo of IV treatment. his Dr. wanted him to continue and we just ran out of money because insurance does not cover treatment. last week while my husband was home alone, lost consciousness and woke on his back on the floor and it took another half hr to get up. i made an appointment with a new nueorologist next friday. our experience at Hopkins makes me leary of the whole Lyme dilemma.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

wieyedoc :

Since your husband lost consciousness has he been seen by an doctor? Also, I'm not really sure what your question is this evening.....could you please elaborate?

wieyedoc :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

i am wondering if the loss of consciousness is related to the Lyme. i gave alot of backround and thought you could whip it into a solution! He was not lightheaded, he says, and he had been on his feet for a few minutes. he said, " i just woke on my back on the floor.",i believe he may have been unconscious for close to half hr. can the spec ? pet? scan result be related? we have been told Lyme has reached his brain.

wieyedoc :

I'm good but not that good lol!

wieyedoc :

Yes. Decrease blood flow to the brain as was noted on his past scans could easily cause him to pass out. Of course, it could also be some other problem...heart etc (which can also be attacked by lymes). In that light he really needs an extensive general going over in addition to being seen by an neurologist ASAP.

Customer:

well now, you work late into the night, clearly you take this seriously!

wieyedoc :

Actually I'm getting ready for a busy day in the OR tomorrow....reviewing charts etc.

wieyedoc :

And, I've had lymes myself....

wieyedoc :

But I only got the joint pains that cleared up with oral antibiotics

Customer:

ok got the neoro but you never know how the medical professionals will take the whole lyme debate. for example, Hopkins is not biting and NIH was wonderful! but no trial that fit my husband. forgot to mention serrious hypertension, but when we got to ER bp was normal, which was abnormal for him. I suppose I will take him back to a lyme doc we have seen before and hope for the best. Are antibiotics still the only treatment?

wieyedoc :

Actually, one of the worlds experts on Lymes disease (and who I called for advice) is an old professor of mine, Gary Wormser, MD. If you don't mind traveling to NYC (actually Westchester County) for treatment he is about the best there is.....

wieyedoc :

That being said the folks at Johns Hopkins are really good too....

wieyedoc :

Here is a link to Dr. Wormser:

wieyedoc :

http://www.nymc.edu/Research/ExploreResearchAtNYMC/AreasOfExcellence/InfectiousDisease/index.html

Customer:

will he see us? Our daughter goes to school in Westchester

wieyedoc :

Yes. He asked me to come in that afternoon....but I lived 1800 miles away so couldn't make it lol!

wieyedoc :

He is the Chairman of the department but he still sees patients. If you go, try to hand carry all your records, scans etc with you -- they tend to get lost otherwise. Actually, have them sent to him AND bring an complete copy with you.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be mentioning you! i feel hopeful again. I hope my husband can get positive, thats a desease, as well. Male, I amgoing to whine til it goes away syndrome. Have you ever seen it?

wieyedoc :

But, right now, it seems that your husband has had an acute event that needs to be looked at sooner rather then later.

wieyedoc :

I used to live in Briarcliff manor

Customer:

i Kn

Customer:

I know it is scary and our h

wieyedoc :

Men, myself included,don't do pain or sick well...that is why women were invented ;)

Customer:

local hosp is not equiped. Briarcliff so does Em. ?She is actually in the nursing program at Pace!

Customer:

I know, I KNOW!!!

wieyedoc :

It's a small world. I graduated from NY Medical College in the late 80's

wieyedoc :

As you can see by reading that link I gave you Dr. Wormser and his staff continue to be at the very cutting edge of tick born disease research and treatment

Customer:

I think my daughter will become a PA. she says she does not want to be a DR. That could be rebellion, she said that at 19

wieyedoc :

After over two decades of being a physician, I don't blame her....government and insurace companies have really messed things up for us doc's

Customer:

thanks for everything. Get rest, your first patient in the OR will appriciate it. I know I appreciate your help.......she mentioned the insurance nightmare and she has seen alot because of her Dad. ddddddddddddddddddDont get me started on the lyme debate!

wieyedoc :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you and your husband. Good night.

Customer:

night

wieyedoc :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

wieyedoc :

Let me know how things turn out, especially if you see Dr. Wormser. you can post to this thread or to the link below at no additional charge :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
My wife say's I'm the real thing lol!