Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have had pain in the ball of my right foot for about a year

I have had pain in the ball of my right foot for about a year now. I have been to the foot and ankle specialist and have had a series of cortizone shots another series of another kind of shot and have tried being put on Lyrica for awhile. They have put padding in my shoe. I have seen 2 different doctors for this problem for about 8 months now. They do not know what else to do or what other alternatives I have. They say I could get an MRI but since the last 2 x-rays show nothing that this probably wouldn't either. And since the padding in my shoe did absolutly nothing that I would probably be wasting my time and money on custom orthotics. What would you suggest as my next step to take or next kind of specialist to see? Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

wieyedoc :

Good evening. I am sorry to hear about all the difficulty you have been going through.

wieyedoc :

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

wieyedoc :

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

wieyedoc :

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associated or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

wieyedoc :

Does this make sense to you?

wieyedoc :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

wieyedoc :

I think I would use an orthopedic surgeon as your primary contact at the University teaching program.

wieyedoc :

My system shows that you have entered the chat room. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Are there any in the Greenville East Carolina University area?

wieyedoc :

Yes. At the Brody School of Medicine at the Pitt County Memorial Hospital you should be able to find what you need.

wieyedoc :

here is a webpage....I don't think this is the one to the teaching hospital but they should be able to get you to the right place:

wieyedoc :

http://www.vidanthealth.com/medicalcenter/

wieyedoc :

Is there anything else I can do for you tonight?

Customer:

I guess I can try this

wieyedoc :

I wish you the best of luck. Have a good evening

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will I have to visit the hospital or can I email them to set up an appointment?
That is a very good question. I would think that you could set up an appointment on the phone.....hospitals are kinda behind the times and usually don't do things by email lol!

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC