DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Can thyroid cause bone and muscle pain

Can thyroid cause bone and muscle pain
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Thyroid imbalance can cause muscle pain more likely.
However, it can cause joint pain and stiffness and might cause bone pain.

I would need to known what your TSH is to comment further on this and more details form you.

In fact, hypothyroid can even lead to carpal tunnel syndrome...so there are a variety of pain problems that can occur.

Control of the disease would often alleviate pain problems.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......good luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last year my thyroid was high, in august they tested my thyroid and they found out that my thyroid was very low, so I was put on thyroid medication. First it was thyroxine 50 mcg and now they put me on 75 mcg, but since October I started having pain on my right arm and in december I started having aching pain on my left leg down to my foot and I can't sleep at night because the pain gets worse, I take pain medicine but it does not help me at all.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
Do you know what your TSH value is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
It needs to be down to .8 to 1 to be optimal
Docs rarely pay this close attention to it and you might be sitting at 2 or 3 which is hypothyroid.
This will not help your pain problems.

You should also be checked by a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor....MD of PM&R to make sure you don't have spinal problems or some structural reason for all of this.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think it was .5 when they put me in the thyroid med. And since then I have been having this aching pain, I did not have it before the med.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
.5 on TSH is low normal.
So you could becoming hyperthyroid.
TSH needs to be rechecked
.3 or lower is going to cause problems.
good luck
Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happens if I stop taking the thyroid med, can it cause me any problems?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Yes
You have to stay around 1 on your TSH
You need an endocrinologist.
If you just stop you can have very many problems.

...

l