Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

my wife is diagnosed with cerebellar gait ataxia.it was the

my wife is diagnosed with cerebellar gait ataxia.it was the result haldol induced nms..this occured in 2007. the nms symptons was supposed to only last 4 to 6 weeks,but she never regained her equilibrium or voice and this lasted over 2 years after nms onset. she was then diagnosed with the cerebellar gait ataxia. she still seems to be deterorating in both her voice and motor skills and now has neuropothy pains in her hands and arms. Is there much hope for her future improvement,Is there any research ongoing that may give her optomistic results,any stem cell research ongoing that you are aware of. she is also manic-depressive..diagnosed forty years ago...presently 59 yr old.I am her husband and primary caregiver...she is for the most part of the time incontenant and we are looking for any hope that may be available...what can you suggest?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still waiting...sorry that i may have a complex questions with so many variblles...but i searching for anything that may help...i am desporate for any info...i see my wife dying right before my eyes,and it is chipping away at my sanity...these 4+ years have been a living nightmare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
any treatmant or therapy or stem cell research going on in her illness that looks hopefull? all three of my questions should give you some idea what we have working against us....any answers would be appreciated....thank you

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
I am happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear of all the difficulty that your wife has experienced.
Stem cell therapy is still in it's early infancy and there are no clinical trials at this point that would address your wife's difficulties.

That being said it seems like she might benefit from a team approach by a range of sub-specialists. Physicians like this are available at large University Teaching Hospitals. If you could tell me what city you live in, what large cities are nearby and how far you would be able to travel for evaluation and treatment I would be happy to recommend a University setting for you. Of course, you could also contact a program on your own should you so desire.

I do agree with the previous posts -- it is very, very unlikely that the thyroid nodules are related to her current problems.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC