Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I had a partial hyst last summer. They put my bladder in a

Customer Question

I had a partial hyst last summer. They put my bladder in a sling and also said something about the rectum area. A muscle. I have 5 hemorriods three in and two out. After the surgery my bm are totally different. I go regular and bleed a little more as far as wiping. Today I had a bm and the water was bright red blood in the toilet. So I am wondering if the surgery could have changed anything. Before I had troubles going.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
if you know you already have hemorrhoids the bright red blood is most likely from the hemorrhoids. When blood mixes with the water in the toilet it can appear to be a great amount. It is unclear if the surgery affected the hemorrhoids but if you did not have them previously then most likely it did. In the meantime try to push the hemorrhoids back up into the rectum so they've become less irritated. If you cannot do that then it is best to get preparation H. with cortisone and apply it twice a day. For the internal hemorrhoids your doctor would have to prescribe cortisone suppositories to shrink the hemorrhoids and prevent further bleeding. Also after each bowel movement wipe with TUCKS which are cotton pads soaked in witch hazel. Make sure your bowel movements are soft by eating plenty of roughage and bulk and fiber and fluids. You may want to take Metamucil 1-2 tablespoons a day to make certain your bowel movements are soft. If the bleeding persists you will need to see your doctor to make certain no other problem exists.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I also have a lot of gas. I did not have that either as much before the surgery. When I have a bm it sometimes feels like mucus comes out first before the bm. It is like I cant hold it so it is like a big fart, but it is the mucusey stuff.

Optional Information:
Gender: Female
Age: 52

Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
The mucus goes along with the spasm. Try the following for gas:

When a person has excess gas causing bloating, belching and excessive flatus the majority of the gas comes from swallowed air. Some amount of gas is produced by bacteria acting upon the food that you eat. With that in mind it is important to try to limit the amount of air that you take into your system. It is important to eat slowly and not gulp down your food. It also is helpful to not drink with meals and wait for 10 or 15 minutes until after you finish eating. Drinking tends to introduce air into the stomach especially with a straw. Also it is important to avoid carbonated beverages and also certain foods that tend to form gas such as beans, broccoli, and cabbage. As a person ages they become less able to absorb the sugar in milk (lactose) and is actually the primary producer of gas. Try to avoid too much dairy. Over the counter anti-gas preparations are helpful in breaking up large pockets or bubbles of gas and forming smaller ones making the gas easier to expel. Try to obtain products that have simethicone in them and take as directed. Also no cal sugars and sugars in dietetic candies are not absorbed and become fermented and form gas. Something that is not proven but may be helpful is to take probiotic drinks such as Activia. I hope this advice helps you.