Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD

Hello doctors, I did cocaine almost two months ago (a lot

Hello doctors,

I did cocaine almost two months ago (a lot for my tolerance) and have been ill ever since. I think most of my symptoms stem from an overall sense that i have too much adrenaline rushing through my body. This causes dizziness, agitation and insomnia. Can you explain how even after this much time I'm still feeling like this? I've done cocaine only a few times in the past but never had long-lasting symptoms. I feel like I can't sit still or focus sometimes. Late at night it gets better and I feel calmer. thanks,
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

It is commonly noted in cocaine users that they may develop symptoms of many other psychiatric disorder including anxiety disorder after stopping cocaine. Most likely it is because of cocaine inducing or aggravating the latent underlying psychiatric disorder.

In such cases, the treatment part consist of using antianxiety agent and or antidepressants. You have already tried Klonopin but since klonopin may itself cause dependence, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you a sedating antidepressant such as Mirtazapine or Amitriptyline to be taken at night. The dose can be gradually increased if needed.

Mirtazapine or Amitriptyline will effective control your anxiety symptoms (adrenaline rushing in your body) and you may need to take the medicines for at least 2-3 months and after which your doctor can taper it down or decide to continue for few more months.

Best wishes,

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated