Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

What are the serious side effects of using prednisone used

What are the serious side effects of using prednisone used for my Asthma/ I am awake 24 hours a day, fast weight gain, problems with my eye sight ( a general weakness of my vision over time), and when I am on high doseses over time a period of time, I feel somewhat Manic at times. . . . . .IS THIS POSSIBLE? wHAT ARE ANY OTHR SIDE EFFECTS THT YOU KNOW OF? tHANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
hello,

What dosage and for how long are you on steroids? Inhalants?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my highest doseses have been 50 -60 mg over a 4-6 week time spam. Take large dosage of steriod inhaled medications.

Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
This amount of medication can definitely cause side effects similar to those you mention. Inhaled steroids give much less side effects because they are confined to lungs compared to oral dose which can cause systemic effects. Obviously it is best to take lowest dose possible to control your symptoms. Here it an excellent site that should address your concerns.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/steroids/HQ01431

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.