Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

I have pain/pressure behind my eyes which causes a headache

Customer Question

I have pain/pressure behind my eyes which causes a headache and slight dizziness. When I wake up my eyes feel dry. At times my eyes feel really dry like there is sand or something in there. If I press on the eye from the front or the side I can feel slight pain on both eyes. Ive had several doctor check ups and I have even seen an Ophthalmologist. They all could not find anything. I also had a CT Scan and in-office tests to see if it's neurological. The Ophthalmologist said it could be migraines. I'm just surprised he didn't mention dry eyes or strained eyes. Could it be related to the eye muscle?

I linked the potential cause to computer usage as the screen I was using at work was dimmed so I was straining the eye. I use a computer around 8-10 hours a day. When I use my computer at work, then come home, I play video games, then use my computer. I've been doing this all my life and never had a problem. Since I changed the computer brightness to "Standard" at work it has been getting better. I even bought computer glasses for long computer usage which seems to help. The problem only really started when I started my new job 2-3 months ago.

Now the pain and eye pressure was getting better and I just went to the gym, did about 45-60 minutes of cardio exercise thinking I am able to do that again and my eyes now have pressure behind them and near the temple region and I have slight dizziness. Nothing major with the dizziness, just feels like an equilibrium balance. Is it because I have really strained my eyes and need to let them rest before doing any exercise? I've had this for about 2 months now on and off.

The only concern is it came back after an exercise. I always play sports and am quite active. So how can an exercises trigger those symptoms? Is it even eye related? Can an ophthalmologist be able to tell if it's the muscle of the eye?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Has the doctor ever done anti ra and anti lo antibody test ?

Has rose bengal stain been done ?

Are you diagnosed of any medical condition ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No none of those tests were done. The ophthalmologist did a brain tumor test with me clicking a button when I see flashes on a monitor. He said I passed all tests. The other doctor told me that he can't find anything. He said it is most probably due to using a computer for 10 hrs a day. I do get the pain when I use a computer and then play. Games. But I did a test and when I use my iPad it gets much better. I use mostly an LCD screen at work and home. So I don't know if it has something to do with over straining the eye?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Dear Jacustomer ,

I am sorry to know about your symptoms .

I will recommend that your doctor does anti ro and anti la antibody test as underlying undiagnosed autoimmune disease ,sjogren disease can present with similar eye dryness and pain as you mentioned . Rose bengal stain can also be done for the same underlying cause .
Migraines is diagnosis of exclusion , we need to do other tests before reaching to the diagnosis of migraines . Sinus exam also needs to be done as that may present with similar pressure and headaches .
Ear exam (epley maneuver ) should be done to rule out benign positional vertigo as a cause of your dizziness .
I will also recommend a cervical exam , cervical xray as you said that your symptoms got exacerbated with exercise ,so we need to rule out cervical pathology (cervical spondylosis ) .Eye fatigue seems less likely or else you would have complained of double vision .
After ruling these all out ,then migraine should be considered as that also may present similarly .

Thanks

Feel free to ask further questions if any.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for your response. My only concern with the "sjogren disease" is that it would have been mentioned as a possibility by many of the professionals I have seen or at least mentioned by the opthamologist I've seen. I did do research prior and have rulled this as an option for sure, but I paid to see the Opthamologist who is the head of the McGill University for Eye Doctors (Opthamologists) and he did a thorough exam and didn't mention this as a possibility. He said he couldn't find anything. My eyes only feel dry and don't produce tears if I am in front of a computer for long periods without break, but they do produce tears. But again he was a professional so when I told him my symptoms I am sure he would have been able to rule out through the exam that it could be sjogren disease. I am also sure he did the rose bengal stain test.

I looked into the possibility this could be CVS (Computer Vision Syndrome). It seems I have all the classic symptoms of it. I remember having similar symptoms when I was younger and it usually was th result of starring in front of a computer screen for hours on end and right before I went to bed. I would see an optometrist and they said I didn't have dry eyes or lack of tear production.

To mention I also went to see a Ear Nose and Throat Specialist and he didnt find anything. He did say my nose was extremely dry but as I have had surgery in my nose before so I have a history of nose related issues. He thought too it could be Sinusitis.

I also mentioned to the clinic I went to which I had to pay for private health about it being maybe Multiple Sclerosis or an Autoimune disease and he did an inoffice exam(neurological, reflex etc...) and said there is no red flag or evidence to suggest that and he has extensive experience and would have reffered me to a neurologist or someone if it was. He said it never would have crossed his mind and to not even consider it as an option. Regardless, your opinion has merit and who would I have to see to do an Anti ro or Anti ra exam? Would a blood test be sufficient to rule out an autoimmune disease like sjogren disease?

Is sjogren disease serious? Is there treatment? I'm surprised that with all the medical attention I received and the specialists I've seen no one as mentioned that as an option.

Lastly I did get a CT Scan which showed everything was fine and no signs of Sinusitis. I do notice the pain and headache is prominent with too much computer usage/video games hence CVS. I am thinking of giving it two weeks of no extra computer usage or video game playing after work and see if the symptoms reside fully. They have resided when I stayed away from too much computer usage. Please let me know your opinion on the above.

Best,

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Sjogren symptoms can be treated with medications ,so there is no need to press any panic button . Yes the antibody test is very sensitive , so the test results will be able to confirm or rule it out .
You could be having computer vision syndrome but always better to rule out other causes too , to be on safe side as not to miss anything .

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi doctor, but do you think the ophthalmologist would have mentioned sjogens disease if it was evident or based on my symptoms?

Anyhow who would I see for an anti or and anti a exam or anything to do with the immune system? Would a blood test be able to give more insight on the symptoms?

Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
He may or may not , sjogren is not diagnosed by bare physical exam of the eye , it is diagnosed by antibody tests or other tests like rose bengal staining .

Yes , the blood test will most likely give you the insight of the cause , and anti ro and anti la test can be done by a family physician or an internist .

Thanks

Dr. B., Doctor
Experience: Physician with 8 years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks doctor. So based on the symptoms, is it anything serious you think?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome ,

I do not think it is anything serious so do not worry . I would have done the tests to be sure about the underlying cause and I don`t overlook anything . Thats why I asked you to get these tests .

Thanks