DrKnowsBest
DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health

I am 47 years old and have several symptoms of preimenopause incl. fatigue. I had a patial

I am 47 years old and have several symptoms of preimenopause incl. fatigue. I had a patial hystorectomy in 2010 and I'm also teated for hyopthyrodism. My doctor just did a pituatary gland test which came back "normal"..
which would be nice IF I still wouldn;t have those symptoms which keep me from being ME. Can a test come back "normal" even though I may have hormonal inbalance?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 2 years ago.

DrKnowsBest :

yes

DrKnowsBest :

there is a range of Normal

DrKnowsBest :

if you had a hysterectomy usually hormone levels start dropping then and in response the pituitary levels go up

DrKnowsBest :

if you are menopausal which you should be by now if its been more than a year then your levels should be high

DrKnowsBest :

the problem is everyone is different in the toleration of change of level and you could be Normal but have been very low or high and with this change alone get symptoms

DrKnowsBest :

there is no very accurate test to say your symptoms are hormonal or not, what youre doing is a good start but a hormonal shift can also cause neural hormones to shift and its possible you are having a mild depression?

Customer:

so how can I find out what I need to do to get better..?

Customer:

no no depression..I considered that..but I have too many plans and too much interest in things..just not the energy to do them..

DrKnowsBest :

it is also possible to keep you at the higher end of the thyroid replacement which you can discuss with your dr as this too is a range and if pts have symptoms of low like you do but normal numbers i increase the dose and see if it helps without making their levels too high

Customer:

what a bout those saliva tests?? are they more acurate?

DrKnowsBest :

not so much without knowing your baseline and if low then most people wouldnt recommend hormone replacement nowadays anyway over 45

DrKnowsBest :

i would think about the thyroid thing make sure your b12 and vitamin D levels are normal and then try to force yourself to increase exercise and as a byproduct get more energy usually than more fatigue

DrKnowsBest :

yam is a pretty good herbal supplement for females in your stage of hormonal levels

Customer:

hhmm..other then upping my thyroid dose..there is nothing else I can do?..I also have gained and keep gaining weight even though I eat about half the amounts of what I used to eat..

DrKnowsBest :

another thing for that is phentermine to spark weight loss and energy and then maintain on your own after a few months, this is a prescription i offer to my otherwise healthy patients who have not had a lot of luck with weight loss the old fashioned way 37.5mg a day

DrKnowsBest :

you will defintiely lose but not safe long term so after that you have to maintain on your own, energy level will increase as a side effect as well

DrKnowsBest :

if no more questions please press accept as we may exit hope this helps you feel better

Customer:

wait...

DrKnowsBest :

sure

DrKnowsBest :

my lock is running out

Customer:

I'm just wondering..I understand that medications and all that can help with the symptoms..I just want to know what could have happend between me being fit and awake and energetic and now being fatigued and gain weight on less food..? something MUST have changed in my body..even though my gland says it's Normal. ..It's not MY NORMAL. so how else can I find out what changed??

DrKnowsBest :

it may be menopause and aging that both can decrease energy level and thereby cause more central weight gain and more difficult loss, i would run those vitamin levels and rule out autoimmune disease which can cause fatigue but not usually weight gain after that it is difficult to quantify what symptoms you will have with each hormone level, normal means no disease or pituitary tumor but not necessarily that you will feel how you felt when you had estrogen

Customer:

oh ..ok..Thank you very much.

DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health