Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I had a colonscopy and afterwards had soreness through out

I had a colonscopy and afterwards had soreness through out the lower back, legs. Colonscopy showed severe diverticulous, but no polyps procedure went well, but I was under. I have continued to have severe muscle twitches and cramps in the butt, legs and lower back can the two be related, something aggravated?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

How long ago was the colonoscopy performed and are the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was done on Januray 3rd. For 3 days it was extremely painful, since its been chronic, I think there is relief briefly, but then it comes back. I have thought it was diverticulitis, but I don't get relief with bowl movement as I have. My kidneys and liver normal functioning.
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
This reaction sounds neuromuscular rather than related to the diverticulosis which would give spasms of the bowel and abnormal bowel movements. This may have been caused by extended pressure on a nerve point from the position assumed during colonoscopy. Having performed literally thousands of colonoscopies I have not encountered this symptom complex. If related to the colonoscopy it should pass, however if it continues you will need x-rays, i.e., MRI and possible nerve conduction studies. I would appreciate followup.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What's the consequences if it continues? I'm an active person, do my exercises and stretches. If something was aggravated what are the possible corrections. Am I harming it if I exercise?
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
This will likely pass but if this is neuro muscular you should refrain from exercise at this point until it abates. Until the exact cause is determined it is impossible to know the long term consequences.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's been a month and if there is inflamation can that damage neuromuscular or colon. Can aspirin or an antibiotic be helpful Which or both? Thanks
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
Tylenol and warm moist soaks would be best. Not antibiotics as this is not infection. In view of length of symptoms it is most likely neuromuscular and next step would be evaluation by internist who may refer to rheumatologist or neurologist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Forgot to add I have moderate severe hemorrids external and some internal. Don't bleed much. I've been takeing metamucil, prune juice, bowels come in three stages, firm, softer then lumpy watery over about 3-4 hours but once complete the pattern then ok. I am regular. Hemorrids don't bleed. The "butt hole" sorry for the venacular and the muscles (maybe) going up a little to the back inside near the base of the tail bone and across both sides is most pronounced, then it goes down both legs, but right one most upper side thigh and and then the fatty area on the hibs at waist level, as well on the butt. Then up spine area in muscles kidney level. Does this still sound neuromuscular or what other possibilities? I have good coordination and other parts don't hurt. One note I do get very tired. Thanks
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
This is not caused by colonoscopy. The discomfort may be from hemorrhoids.

You may accept now for original answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, then can hemmorids cause the pain that goes across such area as described. I also do Kletian (spelling??) exercises pulling up in vaginal area and then tightening and losening the anus area. These feel better when I do these movements especially the anal pull ups if can call it that. I hold it for a while and it seems better. I realize I'm giving you information not given before, but as I'm talking about it it becomes clearer what I'm trying to do and have done. If so, then again, what are my options? thanks
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
I have already answered your questions.