Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I was wondering if there is a geneology test that can determine

Customer Question

I was wondering if there is a geneology test that can determine if I'm from Aboriginal descent. My great grandmother had a child out of wedlock and she was living in a area in NSW that has a high Aboriginal population. She would not tell anybody who the father was, even on her death bed.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I'm still waiting on an answer.
Expert:  Donna-moderator replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still waiting on an answer
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Expert:  RJC-PharmD replied 4 years ago.

Hi. I know of at least 2 different websites where you can send off a cheek swab and they'll analyze your DNA to help you understand your deep ancestral roots.

The first is called "The Genographic Project". It is sponsored in part by the National Geographic Society. You can find information at:

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/lan/en/participate.html

The second is called "The DNA Ancestry Project", by Genebase Systems. You can find information at:

http://www.dnaancestryproject.com/ydna_intro_ancestry.php

I know the Genographic Project is about $99 to do. It breaks you down into sort of a DNA mutation subgroup and shows you a map of how your deep ancestors likely migrated the continents. However, it does not show anything in recent history, the last 10,000 years.

The DNA Ancestry Project claims on their website to "Find the race of your ancestors by discovering your haplogroup." I'm honestly not sure if this is more detailed, or the same process as the other. You may want to research these websites to find out additional information. I honestly don't know how detailed they will get with your recent genealogical history. They may not be sufficient to answer the details of what you are seeking. But research it out.

I hope this information is somewhat helpful, but unfortunately I am no expert on genealogical testing. Sorry! :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Need to find out recent family history.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.
I see that you have relisted your question. I'll be happy to assist you with this issue.
It is difficult to prove aboriginal descent by genetics alone as there is not a good DNA database available.

That being said, since there are various types of assistance available to those who can prove aborigional ancestry there are a number of organizations that can assist you with finding out if one is of aboriginal ancestry. Some of these groups may be able to help you with genetic analysis. Here is a link to a website that lists these organizations in detail:

http://www.iba.gov.au/corporate/organizations-confirming-aboriginal-or-torres-strait-islander-descent/

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC