Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

What over the counter ointment is comparable to bactroban

Customer Question

What over the counter ointment is comparable to bactroban ointment
Category: Medical
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 2 years ago.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

First off, bactroban's active agent is mupirocin

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

While the typical triple antibiotic ointments/neosporin contain: Neomycin/Polymyxin B and Bacitracin

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Were you prescribed Bactroban? Because if you were i can not recommend you to stop using that ointment

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

You should always follow your prescribing physician's instructions.

Customer :

I was prescribed it awhile ago but I ran out and really didn't feel like waiting to go to the doctor to get it re prescribed

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you were previously prescribe that specific ointment it was likely because that is of either the proper strength or of the right antibiotic (not all are correct for each type of infection) for the condition you were diagnosed with.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you can't wait for an appointment there are drop-in clinics which can provide diagnosis and treatment for common medical problems.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

For example the minute clinic at CVS is one near me that does that

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Even on a superbowl sunday you could be seen there

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

However, as a disclaimer, if you are having signs of a systemic infection you should be seen at the ER as that can be very dangerous.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Hope that was of help
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
There is nothing comparable to bactroban over the counter.
Bactroban is reserved for suspected staph infection.
You have not stated what you are tring to treat
Neosporin is find for scratches and scrapes
Impetigo should get bactroban as there is resistance.
can you give me more detail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its for Impetigo i had a prescription but it ran out and I dont want to go to the ER to get a refill
OK
In fact the clinical reality is that if neosporin would start working for impetigo then this would actually be a preferred treatment since we do not want to create resistance to bactroban.
So if you used that today and you started seeing improvement, you could then simply show it to a doc and make sure all is going well, and using this to clear it up would actually be preferred.
However, if not obviously clearing up in three days or so the doctor should switch to bactroban.

You also have to realize that the problem is that you can in some cases give this to family members.

The other problem is if it is MRSA.

YOu also have not considered that you can have your doctor or the answering service doctor on call call in a refill the doctor that gave it too you before.

So
It is not an emergency.
You should have doctor supervision.
If you used neosporin until tomorrow and had your regular doctor look at this to avoid the ER that is perfectly acceptable as long as you are keeping it covered with the antibiotic and a bandage and then following up with the doc.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.