Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

i have a swollen right leg below my knee and down to my ankle.

i have a swollen right leg below my knee and down to my ankle. it's been a little painful but not much. I've been sitting awkward in my chair at work but am concerned about the swelling. no redness and i feel fine...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

Have you had any recent long car ride or plane ride?
Do you have any chronic health problems?
Family history of blood clots?
Any recent surgery?
Injury to the leg?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no to all the above questions. I do take a staten for high cholesterol..

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you for the additional information.

There are several things that can cause swelling of one leg..
The most serious of these is a blood clot.
While you do not appear to have any risk factors for the development of a blood clot, that does not mean that you cannot develop one.

As you may know, a blood clot in the leg is a serious condition given the fact that it could break off and travel to the lung.

While this may not be what is going on, there is no way to know whether this is the cause without an exam and an ultrasound of the veins of the affected leg.

I do recommend that you have this checked out today in the emergency room given the fact that, if it were to be a blood clot, it is a potentially serious/life threatening condition. But a treatable one.

Other causes of swelling of the leg include varicose veins, muscle pulls/tears, bakers cysts (which occur behind the knee and can rupture), skin infections of the leg, poor lymph flow of the leg and medication induced swelling (statins do not cause this).

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have after reading this,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, in the last three months I have taken about 35 cialis pills. Can this cause swelling? Also, is there pain associated with a blood clot? Can I wait to talk to my Dr in the morning, or as you said, have it looked at today?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
No, the Cialis would be unlikely to have caused this.
When medications (other than hormones, which can lead to increased risk of clots) cause swelling, the swelling is typically in both legs. Cialis is not a medication that causes swelling of the legs.

A blood clot can cause an achy pain in the affected leg. The fact that you have some mild pain is consistent with a clot.

I cannot recommend that you wait until tomorrow to see your doctor...as I mentioned, there is a risk, if it is a clot, of it breaking off and travelling. I feel it should be looked at today to be safe.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States