Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

Could I still have appendicitis if it has been three days since

Could I still have appendicitis if it has been three days since the pain on my right side of my stomach was the worst, close to a 10 at times that night(it still hurts, but not near the intensity as Tuesday night and now comes in waves, like someone squeezing my intestines)? I also had a fever over the last three days, but today, Friday I don't have a fever anymore. Does appendicitis work this way, pain decreases and fever goes away a few days after the "peak" of the problem.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Appendicitis is inflammation at the appendix {infection is the most likely cause}. Inflammation at any region is manifested by pain and fever. The symptoms of appendicitis are - Aching pain that begins around your navel and often shifts to your lower right abdomen/ Pain that becomes sharper over several hours/ Tenderness that occurs when you apply pressure to your lower right abdomen and also when the area is pressed on and then the pressure is quickly released (rebound tenderness)/ Pain that worsens if you cough, walk or make other movements/ Nausea, Vomiting, Loss of appetite/ fever/ Constipation, Inability to pass gas, Diarrhea or Abdominal swelling.

Having given you all the symptoms let me state - The inflammation of the appendix varies in severity and may involve the colon or surrounding bowel loops. Thus in nutshell it is not necessary that the individuals will have all of the above mentioned symptoms.

The major symptoms are - pain at right lower quadrant and fever.

Good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I pretty much know all of the symptoms to look for, as the internet is good at supplying that type of information. I haven't had most of the symptoms mentioned, like vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, inability to pass gas, constipation. When I push on the spot it is very sore, but when I release I do not seem to have the rebound tenderness. I always thought something like appendicitis, once it came on, gets worse until you have an episode. I feel much better today than I did three days ago, more energy, better appetite, AND no fever today. That is my main question. How can my fever go away and why do I feel better overall, yet the really sore "spot" in the right quadrant is still very much present?
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I do understand.

Let me explain a bit. Body has inbuilt system to get rid of infection or inflammation {any abnormality if I may say so} with help of its immune system. Reduced fever and pain indicates that body is doing good to get rid of the inflammation. This is done by various ways like getting rid of the causative organism {the best way}. OR Limiting the inflamed area {by forming a omental cover around it} - this forms an appendicular mass after some days and may lead to complications.

To be frank - If I were you I would get an ultrasound done to see for the cause and its severity.

God speed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last question. We are heading into the weekend. Based on what I've told you, is this something I can wait and see my doctor on Monday, now that my fever has broken? Or would you go so far as to consider it a medical emergency and go to the hospital over the weekend?
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Yes you can wait till Monday for sure as the symptoms have reduced in severity.

See for the signs which I stated in my previous reply which should prompt Er visit.

Good luck