Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.
28687509

Have an extremely painful middle finger of my left hand (I

Have an extremely painful middle finger of my left hand (I am right-handed.) No injury occurred, this seem to have come out of nowhere. The pain is intermittent, there is no visible swelling.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 2 years ago.
Hello to JA !

Is there any pain with finger movement?

Trauma?

On the back of hand or front ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, pain with movement. No trauma. It's the middle finger of left hand. Pain on both sides and the entire length of the finger. Is it relevant that I once had "trigger finger" of my right index finger? It went away after two months. I have no arthritis either.
Thank you very much for your input.

I think you may have this problem called Finger tendinitis , in which there could be inflammation of tendons and reduction of lubricant inside the tendon sheaths.
It can recover if you work on certain road map to recovery like ,
stop the movement of the finger ,
Apply braces on the finger for 3-4 weeks to give it rest which is very important.
use NSAID's and Anti-inflammatory medications which will relive pain , inflammation and improve blood supply.
Then after 3 weeks slowly release finger and do finger exercises.
Also before all that please do blood work for serum Uric acid.
See your doctor if no recovery.
Hope I have answered your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the tendinitis the result of some injury of which I'm unaware?
Yes it could be .Actually , trauma could be 1.Physical 2.Thermal etc. like for people going to rock climbing , hiking etc. in extreme conditions.Also physical trauma , stress , diabetes etc. can cause such problem too.It is possible that it was due to some trauma you were not aware of.Good luck.
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience: 18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.