Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

What is a single broad based polyp found in the ascending colon

Customer Question

What is a single broad based polyp found in the ascending colon and why would it not be removed at the time of a colonoscopy?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 4 years ago.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello, let me read your question so I can give you the attention you deserve.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

How large was the polyp?

Customer:

APPARENTLY VERY SMALL

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

The gastroenterologist that is doing the colonoscopy can often times tell if a polyp appears beign or is concerning. Additionally, a broad-based polyp is much more likely to bleed

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Most likely the gastroenterologist with their years of experience deemed that from past experience the polyp appeared benign and would follow up on it at the time of your next colonoscopy.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

sometimes they even place a little tattoo at the site of polyps and also where they've removed polyps.

Customer:

The olnly thing that concerns me is that I was recommended to come back in 5 years . Does that sound reasonable?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yep, so he can follow up that polyp

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

They space the colonoscopy times out close enough that if you follow recommendations you can catch a cancer as it shows up..

Customer:

tHE ONLY THING THAT CONCERNS ME IS THAT THEY TOLD ME TO COME BACK IN 5 YEARS. iS THAT REASONABLE?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Any sooner of a followup most likely would not be any more beneficial than 5years

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Any further question? I see you are typing?

Customer:

i'M NOT SURE YOU GOT THE NEXT PART OF MY QUESTION WHICH CONCERNS THE AMOUNT OF TIME OF THE NEXT COLONOSCOPY WHICH APPARENTLY IS 5 YEARS.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yes that is perfectly fine. Those recommendations are based on studies and the natural history of colon malignancies

Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience: MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
I would have to disagree with the answer provided by the radiology resident who answered your question.

I do NOT believe that most gastroenterologist would give a 5 year recommendation in the setting of a "flat polyp". Some of these lesions can develop into colon cancer, and there is some controversy regarding their management.

Personally, if this were my family member, I would suggest a more aggressive approach including possibly biopsy of the lesion and/or a repeat colonoscopy sooner than 5 years.

Here are some articles that look at the risk/issues with flat polyps:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20649732
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21309669
http://www.lacolon.com/patient-education/colon-polyps-the-flat-colon-polyp

You may want to discuss your concerns with your primary care physician and ask about getting a second opinion from another gastroenterologist.