Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have pain in my upper inner thigh where the muscle is that

I have pain in my upper inner thigh where the muscle is that would hurt if you do a split. Haven't done any splits lately or changed physical activity. Pain is comes and goes, for about two weeks now. Should I be concerned?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
A pulled muscle in this area is referred to as an adductor strain. It can occur via a variety of mechanism, not just from doing a split. An adductor strain is fairly common and the development of an adductor strain in the absence of a split is not worrisome. It can occur because of a forced push off to the side, and there may have been such strain on the muscle as part of your regular level of exertion. An adductor strain will usually heal with conservative care, although it may take 4-6 weeks to heal. The usual approach is to use RICE - rest, ice, compression (such as an ACE bandage), and elevation. Rest does not mean bedrest, but avoidance of activities that affect that muscle group. The ice and elevation can be done together for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times per day. After the first couple days, it also may help to apply moist heat. It also may help to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.

The only other issue that may be of concern would depend upon the location of the pain. If the pain is entirely in the muscle of the inner thigh, that is good, but if the pain extends to the front of the thigh and approaching the groin, there also would be concern that the pain could be due to inflammation and a blood clot in the vein. If the pain is in this pattern, then it would be appropriate for you to be seen.

Otherwise, if the pain is limited to the muscle, it wold be appropriate to try conservative care, although if the pain becomes severe or persists, it would still be appropriate to be seen.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.