Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have difficulty standing up from a sitting position or from

Customer Question

I have difficulty standing up from a sitting position or from a crouch or getting down into a crouch and using stairs - 64 years of age overweight but this has only been a problem in the last few months Have not been doing much in the way of exercise as have had a neck disc problem 5/6 vertibrae over the last year but it seems to be resolving and surgeon decided a month ago not to operate. Is there an obvious probably cause or a way to cure this knee problem
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question

Have you gone for X-ray of knee joint?
Pain/Swelling in knee at time of walking?
Numbness in legs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no - trying to avoid yet another visit to the Doc - I had an x ray a couple of years ago on the left knee showed a bit of wear and tear and a bit of arthritis but I believe x rays are pretty useless in showing detail and that mri scan is much more useful ? The symptoms are now different When i had the xray it was a weakness/ pain in the left knee but now It seems to be a muscular weakness -
It sounds that you may be suffering from Polymyalgia rheumatica. It is a inflammatory disorder and usually develops after 60 years. It causes stiffness in joints and results in stiffness in affected areas, particularly in the morning or after prolonged inactivity.
One feels difficulty in standing after long sitting position.
You need to undergo- erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)test, C-reactive protein test, MRI of knee joint for diagnosis.

It is treated with- Corticosteroids, Calcium and vitamin D supplements. You should take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like - Short wave diathermy, Infra red , Wax therapy -these will help you a lot.

Please make an appointment with your doctor for management of this issue. Good luck and take care.

If you have any other questions, please ask them.
Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. A BONUS is appreciated.