Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

My tailbone hurts. I didnt fall and not sure what I did to

My tailbone hurts. I didn't fall and not sure what I did to have the pain. It started last week and had subsided over the weekend, but by last evening, it constantly ached. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting, standing or laying down, it aches. I did have a pionidal cyst removed from my tailbone in 1982, but haven't had any problems since then. I don't feel any bumps now indicating a cyst, but it is very tender to the touch, especially on the left side. I do work out so not sure if I pulled something, but didn't notice it if I did. Just wondering if I should have it checked out. If so, what type of dr. do I go to?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 2 years ago.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello, first off, if you hurt it while working out you most likely would have noticed when it happened. Do you remember a specific circumstance at which that might have happened?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

And by tailbone, I just want to make sure that you are referencing the very last bit of bone at the end of your spine right above your anus

Customer:

Correct. It's in the same area where I have my scar from my previous surgery. Before I had my surgery I could feel the cyst. I don't feel any bumps, but it is tender to the touch.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Ok, well did this come on abruptly?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello?

Customer:

I noticed it last Tuesday when I got up. That's when I thought maybe I did something when working out or, I don't know. It felt like I had bruised it so just gave it the week to heal, which it seemed to feel better and by Sunday, didn't really notice it. I do have a desk job so sitting all day yesterday probably didn't help it and by the time I went to bed last night it hurt. It doesn't matter if I'm putting pressure on it or not, it hurts.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Your best medical specialist to see would be an orthopedic surgeon, specifically one that specializes in spine problems - most orthopedic practices have a person who specializes in say, knee, another who specializes in hip, another in hand, etc. Or you can outright go and see a spine surgeon, but I think orthopedic surgeon would be your best first stop if they have a personal focus on the spine - just ask the receptionist.

Customer:

Okay, thanks.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Most likely you pulled something or are experiencing a self-limiting viral infection of the joints... this most commonly happens at the ribs

Customer:

Ok

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

But the treatment would be NSAIDs (like ibuprofen, though I most often recommend Aleve), rest and time

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If it is to the point that you are truly bothered by it and your personal life has been affected, then you should see the type of specialist I have mentioned.

Customer:

I'll try the Aleve and not work out the rest of the week and see how it does. If it's not feeling any better in another week, then I'll go see a specialist.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

That sounds very appropriately plus try and find a more ergonomic chair.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Any more I can help with? If you're satisfied please click accept. - Dan

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience: MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.