Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

Is it possible for a bed bug to enter the inner ear through

Customer Question

Is it possible for a bed bug to enter the inner ear through the ear drum and cause pain, dizziness and vertigo
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 years ago.
It is not possible for a bed bug to enter into the inner ear and cause your symptoms.
Even a bed bug getting into the outer ear would be a VERY UNLIKELY possibility.
The thing that you need to understand here is that it is sometimes very frustrating not only for the patient but also for the treating doctor to treat vertigo and dizziness.
Therefore I think that you should continue doing what you are doing and hopefully in due course of time things will settle because in the VAST MAJORITY of cases vertigo and dizziness is temporary and settles with time.
Regards
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 4 years ago.
I would see an ENT doctor, Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. The number of causes could be many. That is the specialist to see. For example you could have otoliths, (stones in the ear) that move around and stimulate the semicircular canals in your inner ear causing these vertigo symptoms. Otherwise they will instruct you on how to do rotational exercises when the symptoms come on to alleviate the symptoms. People have good success with this approach.
For a bedbug to enter your ear there would be a noticeable defect (hole) in your ear drum that your prior doctors would have easily seen - the intact eardrum has a light "reflex" basically a shiny reflection of the otoscope's light. Since that was not obviously seen on physical exam, no you did not suffer from a misplaced bedbug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The reason I asked is that two times I have felt something moving on my eardrum making noises and no, it was not an hallucination, I used a q tip and the noise stopped. We have had bedbugs for a few years and they are very hard to get rid of. I do appreciate the answer that it could not enter the inner ear as I thought that would be very painful if it did. I do have BPV so it may just be that or I just started Pristiq which could have aggravated it. Would it help to irrigate the ear myself and with what?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would it help to irrigate the ear
The sensation and hearing something move may actually be fluid within your inner ear. There is a anatomic structure that connects the inner ear to the pharynx (the very back of the mouth) called the eustacian tube. In some people this can be squished closed and prevent fluid from the inner ear from draining into the throat. There is an exercise by which you use small muscles inside your neck that run along that tube to practice opening up that tube so that fluid can drain out. My guess is that you might hear this noise more often when you swallow or turn your head from one position to another. To exercise these muscles open your mouth and attempt to lower and close the back and lower portion of the very back of your throat. If you successfully manipulate these muscles you should hear the noise up in your ears. Practice doing this and the fluid might slowly leave your inner ears. Some people need "tubes" in their ears, literally tubes place through their eardrums to drain the fluid out the opposite way and into their ear canal.
Irrigation would not help if it were a fluid accumulation within the inner ear, but using drops such as Debrox can always help in relieving earwax accumulation.
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience: MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.