Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

My husband hneeds two knee replacements and therefore uses

My husband hneeds two knee replacements and therefore uses a cane. today there is swelling in his right wrist just above his hand. It is puffy and a little warm. he uses that hand to push himself up and says it hurts to do that today. Can he wait until tomorrow morning to call his doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,

when did he had the knee replacement?
is he taking any drug?
any associated fever?
is it present on both side or one side?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has not had knee replacements thus needs the cane to get about. It is present on one side only. No fever at this time. He is on several drugs but no new ones at present.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,

The repetitive use of the wrist joint to bear weight during the use of cane may cause strain on the koint ligaments.It may result in pain, swelling , redness of the affected joint.

The treatment involves the use of ice application, rest to the joint.The compression and elevation of the affected joint will also help.

Yoy may also give him NSAID drugs like motrin, advil, brufen to control the pain and swelling.

The x-ray of the joint may be done tommorow to rule out any fracture.The other causes like artritis, fracture should also be ruled out.

Here is the link for more information

treatment of strain

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you